Sunday, July 24, 2011

THE BIRTHRIGHT


The third book in the "Song of Acadiaser" series moves slower than the first two books, climaxing in the last four or five chapters. Janette Oke and T. Davis Bunn once again do a superb job at bringing to life each character and taking the reader back into time as if they walked the streets of London during the years of the American Revolution following the French and British war in the Americas, resided in Harrow hall, or visited the small villages within Lord Charles' demesne. Although "The Birthright" seems to trudge along rather than move swiftly with exciting adventure, the reader catches a significant glimpse into the life inside British manors and their Lords that presided over them, the British parliament and feelings toward those in America who sought to break away from British rule, and the high society of Britain that seems to continue to catch the world's fascination. Despite the fact that the story develops at a slow pace Oke and Bunn engage the reader to consider the struggle of seeking the good of others above one's personal desires, social status, and maintenance of material possessions, especially when it involves family relations. The authors tap into a more individualized battle of human emotions involving grief, sacrifice, and happiness vs. duty. The latter provides the foundation upon which this story revolves. As Nicole states in her conversation with Anne, she says,

"At some level, I think I've always assumed that when I found my place in the world, then I should be happy. Yet in all my searching of the Scriptures, I haven't found a single instance where God promises this. In fact, nowhere is such a thing even requested by His servants...It has made me realize that all my life I've meaured how well I was suited to a place by how happy it made me. Only now, as I learn my way through english society, Have I come to see that, although happiness is a fine thing, it comes and ti goes. So long as I base my happiness upon what I have or how life suits me, it will always remain fleeting. For as soon as something changes, as soon as a cold wind blows through my life, as soon as life takes an unpleasant turn, my happiness would be gone...My studies have shown me that I need to find my happiness in God, and in Him alone. By placing my life in His hands and seeking to live as He wants me to, I now have a peace that's greater than whatever struggle I might face. My frustrations and my difficulties, all these will pass. But He remains always...Yes, I've been granted many gifts...And with each gift there comes a responsibility..."

Each one of us at some point in our lives struggle with coming to grips with finding peace in our "duty" or "obligation" in life and being happy according to the world's definition of happiness, or perhaps our own definition of happiness. Upon what does our security lie? Do we seek to fulfill what it is God has called us to do on this earth, or do we seek only our own personal happiness? After reading this book, the reader is brought to a place of soul searching; a place where grief and sacrifice may be experienced for the sake of following God's will for their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment